Wearing open shoes and breathable sandals are undeniably so comfortable than those chunky boots and closed shoes. But did you know that if you are the type who walks around and stands all day then there is s huge chance for you to develop those ugly cracked heels and even painful fissures.
Dry skin is definitely the root cause of cracked heels but here are some other possible reasons and factors that contribute to making it more visible.
- Being obese or overweight which increases the pressure on the heels
- Skin disorders such as athlete’s foot, psoriasis, eczema and contact dermatitis
- Dehydration or inadequate water intake
Though most cracked heels may not be serious, some may experience severe discomfort with pain and bleeding that may even cause bacterial infection, so it is important to find an instant solution to remedy to this condition.
Here are some simple ways on how to prevent and heal cracked heels:
1. Hydrate and increase your water intake. Now we know that excessively dry skin may cause cracked heels, getting yourself hydrated may give you a healthier more moisturized skin so be sure to take at least 8-10 glasses of water everyday.
2. Do not attempt to peel or shave those fissures. Though it may be tempting, especially if you notice that it’s peeling, shaving it is the worst thing you can ever do for your feet. You don’t want to have any unwanted complications and infection, so make sure not to make the problem worse.
3. Avoid wearing sandals or open back shoes. Put on your sneakers or boots to get those dry heels protected.
4. Wear socks overnight and apply an intensive moisturizer such as lanolin. Moisturizing the feet daily, especially in the morning, should always be a part of our routine as this will coat and protect the skin and keep bacteria from penetrating the fissure, but wearing socks and applying a deep moisturizer at night as we sleep can help activate the release of the healing benefits of the lanolin to make the heels softer and smoother, thus preventing and healing deep fissures and cracked heels.